Friday 1 August 2008

Special Tuna

I found this recipe today when I was looking for inspiration for healthy stuff I can take to work or eat in Ediburgh. The holidays have seen a slight tightening in the waistband so some healthy eating is in order (particularly if I make anotherc arrot cake next weekend). This recipe is from my friend Shona who finds it difficult to eat wheat and dairy and uses that storecupboard favourite - tinned tuna.

Ingredients

Tin of tuna drained (friendly to dolphins only!)
1 pepper chopped finely
1 red onion chopped finely
2-3 carrots shredded
2-3 tsp of tomatoe puree
2 tsp pesto (whatever type takes your fancy)
salt and pepper to taste
Cheese to top if you like - mozzarella or parmesan is good)

Method

Combine tuna and veggies in a bowl
Add pesto and puree, mix, then season to taste
Leave for 15-20 minutes to let flavours settle and infuse
Can be served hot or cold, with a baked potatoe, in a sandwich, with pasta (wheat free if you need it), rice and as a side. Great for lunches along with some bread/roll.

I sometimes double the quantities so I can have it for dinner and then for lunches for a couple of days.

No comments: