Sunday, 16 November 2008


I made this tonight to go with the lasagne - it is in its final five minutes and smells won-der-ful.

3x7g packets of yeast
1oz sugar
1 pint tepid water
1lb strong flour
1lb plain flour
1oz salt
Flour for dusting

Dissolve yeast and sugar in half the tepid water
In a big, big bowl mix the flours and salt
Make a well in the middle and pour in yeast and sugar mixture
Pretend taht your hand is a food mixer and using a circular motion swirl your fingers into the bowl and mix everything up
Make another well and add the rest of the water and mix as above
Empty out onto a floured surface and knead for five minutes - I love kneading - good for stress and arm muscle work out! If teh dough sticks to your hands just rub together with some flour and it will come off. Trying to wash it off will just make it stickier.
Shape the dough into a round and flour the top and score with a knife - place on a floured baking tray and leave to rise for 45 minutes in a warm place. Dough doesn't like drafts so make sure any windows or doors are closed.

While the dough is rising, you can make your topping. This is my current favourite:

Handful of basil finely chopped
Olive oil
Half a head of garlic, crushed
Cherry tomatoes chopped into quarters

Mix the basil, garlic and oil together. You need about 3 times as much oil as basil. Let it steep while the dough rises for the flavours to develop.

After the dough has risen, you need to knock it back. I do this by punching it just cause it is fun! But you can just knead it if you are more ladylike. Do this for about a minute.
Shape into two rounds about 1.5 cms thick.
Smear across the top of the dough the basil, oil and garlic mixture. Then, with your fingers, poke the dough and make depressions in the dough - pop a cherry tomatoe quarter in them. This will help the flavours penetrate the dough and sook up the tomatoe juices.
Leave to rise for another 45 mintes or until the dough is about 3-4 cms high.
Once it has risen, bake for 15 minutes in a hot oven (I use the highest heat on mine) or until golden brown.
Leave to rest for 5 mins before serving.

No comments: