Thursday 26 June 2008

Canteen

I love food. I love it so much I have to go to the gym three times a week to maintain my weight. And I think that good, tasty food is not that hard. I mean, how much effort must you put in to ruin soup? Its water. stock, some veggies etc and that is it!

At my work we have a canteen run by a private firm that serves dishes such as baked potatoes with a filling of cauliflower cheese, seafood lasagne and a dish called beef en croute which is a burger wrapped in pastry like a danish. Weird. So mostly lunchtimes are a moaning session about the food. But today they pulled of a fantastic lunch. Today was 'barbeque menu' day - recently we have had theme days such as an American day that did not feature burgers and chips. I had a sausage, burger and breast of chicken (all succulent and garlicky) in a bun with salad and baked potatoe. It was soooo good. And I didn't care that I was eating a whole farmyard for lunch (I am usually a bowl of soup or a salad).

It got me thinking though about food that goes together and food that doesn't. I really don't understand sur 'n' turf but I do like a mixed grill. I think bananas in a curry is beyond strange but love a mango korma. Sometimes I think that food more than anything can express how different we all are, what an infinite variety of tastes and combinations there can be, and that what we eat is a visual and expressive way of communicating our personnalities. Mind you, I will try anything once. Except sweetmeats.

No comments: