I fancied something refreshing that would be light and cleansing on the palate - the weather has been so muggy and this recipe is just right for a summer pudding.
175g/6oz ginger or digestive biscuits (I prefer using ginger)
2 tbsp caster sugar
half a tsp ground cinnamon
85g/3oz butter, melted
400ml/14 fl oz canned condensed milk
125ml/4 fl oz freshly squeezed lime juice (around 6-7 limes)
finely grated rind of 3 limes
4 large egg yolks
your preferred flavour of ice cream to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 160/325 and grease a pie plate. I have a loose bottomed 23cm/9inch flan one that I use and it is good for extracating thepie and serving it on a nice dish. Then grate and squeeze your limes.
2. Put the biscuits, sugar and cinnamon in the processer and whizz until crumbed - but now ground into a powder. Then add in the melted butter and whizz until it is moist.
3. Spread crumb mix ino pie dish and press down over the bottom and up the sides - I use a tbsp.
4. Put the pie dish on a baking sheet and pop into the oven for 5 minutes.
5. Beat together the milk, lime juice, lime rind and egg yolks ina bowl until well blended. I like to grate an extra lime and save it for decoration.
6. Remove the pie dish from the oven and pour in the filling. spread it out to the edges. Put back into the oven for 15 minutes. The filling should be set around the edges but a bit wobbly still in the middle.
7. Leave to cool completely and then chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Sprinkle with the lime rind and serve with ice cream/fresh fruit/cream.
Introducing Hello, My Name Is Shine
3 years ago