Sunday 21 June 2009

My special rosemary potatoes

These are my only fried attempt at potatoes and I picked up the recipe in part from my old flatmate Calum and through figuring out one day what to do with some left over rosemary. Now they are my 'posh' alternative to usual boiled potatoes.

New potatoes
Rosemary
Garlic 2-3 cloves
Olive Oil
Sea Salt and black pepper

Cut the potatoes into four - or small pieces - not bigger than 2-3 cms.
Par boil and then drain.
Put the rosemary,peeled garlic, salt, pepper and a slug of oil and crush it all together using a pestle and mortar. Do not food process! You want to bruise rather than mince it up.
Heat enough oil to cover a frying pan by 1 cm.
Add the drained potatoes and then spoon over the rosemary mixture, turning the potatoes so they get covered in oil and the mixture. Fry for about 20-30 mins turning 2-3 times.

I make the mixture as the potatoes are draining because I think that potatoes left to cool before hitting hot oil fry better and get a crispier coating.

If you make enough to have some left over, they are great cold, or reheated, and dipped in sour cream as a wee lunchtime snack or accompaniement to salad.

No comments: