Sunday 21 June 2009

Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar

These are really yummy - I first had them at my Aunt Sheila's and while I was a bit wary I like to give everything a go once. Well, once I had tasted them I fell in love with them! If you have had quite a heavy main, perhaps with red meat, they act as a very good light pudding that cuts through the palate nicely. And leaves you very ready for some strong coffee and a slice of tablet or square of dark chocolate!

Punnet of strawberries
Balsamic vinegar - go for a good one for this
Sugar

Top and hull your strawberries and cut in half. If some of the berries are small leave them. You don't want sliced and diced - you want big pieces to sink your teeth into.

In a large bowl, combine 2-3 tbsp of vinegar and 1-2 of sugar. I used brown but not sure if it matters.

Mix in the strawberries and leave for at least 30 mins but not longer than about an hour. Have a wee taste and add more sugar if you need it.

Serve either with creme fraiche or with a suitable cake - something not too sweet and gooey - my Aunt serves a lovely almond tart alongside.

No comments: